Family Walk – 3km
Who wouldn’t love exploring a nature reserve with its own Napoleonic forts? Complete with cannons, spy holes, and a very short lighthouse, this walk is an exciting one whatever your age. Explore Berry Head’s forts, admire its views, and keep a look out for Brixham’s dolphins on this flat family walk along the cliffs. As if all that isn’t enough, you might also want to leave time for a treat from the rather excellent Guardhouse Cafe.
Walking route maps
- Follow this Brixham walk on the OSMaps app
- Download our walk PDF, complete with instructions, free child-friendly map and game
- Distance: 3 kilometres
- Mud factor: paths and grass
- Parking: Berry Head car park TQ5 9AW (charges)
- Toilets: Berry Head car park
- Features: fort, lighthouse, cannons, views, cafe
- Game: ‘Spin East’
- Pushchair: Yes
- Refreshments: The Guardhouse Cafe TQ5 9AW (right on Berry Head)
- National routes: South West Coast Path
- Take care: steep unfenced cliffs
- From the toilets take the path that heads towards the trees.
- Follow this path around through the woods.
- Enter the first fort through the main gateway.
- Walk up to the lighthouse and enjoy the sea views (and possibly dolphins).
- Keep to the left and explore as you head back towards the cafe.
- Go back through the main gate and turn left towards the second fort.
- Explore the buildings then head back out of the gate.
- Bear left to return to the car park.
Fi is a freelance writer, Ordnance Survey GetOutside Champion, and passionate advocate of the outdoor lifestyle. She regularly writes walking routes for national publications including Countryfile Magazine and Ordnance Survey's GetOutside hub. Route and activity ideas are a great addition to any hospitality website. Please feel free to get in touch today to discuss outdoor or route writing to enhance your visitor experience.